This has been around for a while, and even though I’m new to blogging, I’ve been around the blogosphere long enough to have seen it several times. I suppose it’s time to comment upon it.
I present, compliments of Robert Stacy McCain, How to Get a Million Hits on Your Blog in Less Than a Year.
McCain presents 5 basic rules to dramatically improve your hit count on a blog.
- Shameless Blogwhoring: bug the Big Dogs for scraps of recognition
- The Full Metal Jacket Reach-Around: When someone does you a favor, find an opportunity to return the kindness. Help promote other blogs.
- Memorandum: Find out what’s hot, and blog about it shamelessly
- Make some enemies: Flamewars generate hits
- Christina Hendricks: Hot chicks gets hits. A combination of four principles of the web
- Everybody loves a pretty girl
- Mind the MEGO factor: all politics makes life dull
- Sex sells
- Feminism sucks
They do seem a good way to increase hits, although if I’m not sure how many of those hits would be significant insofar as attracting legitimately interested readers. I suppose if you get enough hits, at least some of them might stick around long enough to care about what you have to say.
Well, I suppose implementing at least some of these ideas may help out. My blog has only been up around a month, and my busiest day still hasn’t topped 100 hits. Rule 3 and Rule 5 should prove easiest, but we’ll see what I can come up with.